This morning we began a new five week worship series called “Rejoicing Our World” (thanks to Rob Rash for creating an awesome logo). I’m pretty sure this is the first time I have devoted five weeks of teaching to one text of Scripture, but Proverbs 11:10 has totally captured my imagination. Here’s the text (just in case you don’t have it memorized yet):
When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices;
when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy. (Proverbs 11:10)
I was introduced to the power of this text by Amy Sherman and her tremendous book Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good. She writes of the glorious vision of Proverbs 11:10 and boldly declares:
“Dancing in the streets rejoicing occurs when the tsaddiqim (righteous) advance justice and shalom in the city in ways that vulnerable people at the bottom stop being oppressed, start having genuine opportunity and begin to enjoy spiritual and physical health, economic sufficiency and security.”
Here are a couple of questions for you to ponder:
- What does a “rejoiced” world look like?
- What are you doing to “rejoice” your city?
Our new song for the morning was “Now and Forever” by One Sonic Society. They describe their mission as:
One Sonic Society is about unity, creativity, and community. Led by Jason Ingram [vocals/guitar], Stu Garrard [guitar/vocals] and Paul Mabury [drums]; an international collective of respected artists, united in creating music to serve the Church.
These guys are tremendous songwriters with a huge heart for the Church – check them out!
Here is our complete worship flow:
- Now and Forever (One Sonic Society)
- Call to Worship (Psalm 40:5)
- Fall on Your Knees (David Crowder Band)
- Our God Is Mercy (Brenton Brown)
- Prayers of Confession/Assurance of Pardon
- Jesus, Son of God (Passion, White Flag)
- We Are Saved (Paul Baloche)
- Announcements and Offering
- Message (Rejoicing Our World)
- Reprise: Our God Is Mercy
You can learn what other communities of faith experienced this weekend in worship at The Worship Community.