Yesterday I received my travel visa from the Ugandan Embassy in Washington, DC. It was such a strange experience entrusting my passport to the USPS, but in less than a week the Ugandan authorities had it back to me safe and sound.
The visa will enable me to to travel to Uganda to serve as a member of the faculty for the “Rooted in God’s Word Conference.” This conference, sponsored by the Pastors Discipleship Network (PDN) will be held in Kampala, Uganda and will reach 400-500 East African pastors each of whom is currently providing local church leadership. Most East African pastors (80%) are leading their churches without the benefit of any formal biblical or theological training and the mission of PDN is to equip and empower local church pastors with basic study tools for accurately interpreting God’s Word. This opportunity connects deeply to my passion to encourage, equip and empower local church leaders, near and far and everywhere in-between. During the conference, I will be giving three keynote lectures on the topics of hermeneutics, discipleship and leadership, along with providing small group leadership and one on one coaching to conference participants.
You can help equip and empower these faithful servants in three significant ways: many pastors who will travel from rural communities and your gift of $15 will provide transportation to and from the conference for them; $20 will cover the expenses connected to the actual conference. As well, each participant will be given a Study Bible (perhaps their very first Bible) and your gift of $30 will make this a reality. If you would like to resource pastors in these ways, please forward a check payable to CCCSH (memo Pastors Conference) to: CCCSH PO Box 13393 Pittsburgh PA 15243.
After the conference I will be spending three days with Pastor Luke Jaymin Muwayi and his congregation in Kampala. Pastor Luke and I have been in a mentoring relationship (through PDN) for the past year and this relationship has been a rich, rewarding leadership challenge. I look forward to spending time with Pastor Luke, his church and leadership team and together, we are filled with a great sense of anticipation for the face to face opportunity to explore the shape of a partnership between our communities of faith.
I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I embark upon this opportunity to serve and partner with our sisters and brothers in Uganda.
- Pray for travel arrangements and visa applications.
- Pray for the pastors and church leaders who will attend the conference.
- Pray for my preparations for the keynote lectures I will give – that I might be a good steward of my limited time, providing solid content and encouragement to participants.
- Pray for strong connections with the other US leaders who will serve as the teaching team for this event.
- Pray that I might be physically, spiritually, emotionally and relationally strong.
- Pray for the PDN staff coordinating this experience and all the logistics surround it: Richmond, Emily, Terry and Ronald.
- Pray for my time with Pastor Luke and his community of faith.
- Saturday-Sunday July 9-10: Travel Days
- Monday July 11: Team Orientation and visit to the Bukeka community
- Tuesday July 12: Conference speaker preparations and small group leader training
- Wednesday July 13: Day of Prayer and Fasting
- Thursday-Saturday July 14-16: Rooted in the Word Conference
- Thursday: Hermeneutics Keynote
- Friday: Discipleship Keynote
- Saturday: Leadership Keynote
- Sunday July 17: Preaching at Nakawa Church and evening sessions with youth and church leadership
- Monday July 18: Morning with Pastor Luke and afternoon/evening sessions with church leadership
- Tuesday July 19: Morning meetings with network of local church pastors
- Tuesday-Wednesday July 19-20: Travel Days